Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Chili 5-Wei

Cincinnati is famous for its chili. We went to Skyline Chili, the most famous place for it. Fortunately we found one that was open until 3am. We had to drive a bit to get there but it was worth it.


This was the sampler, in case we had doubts. A small bowl of chili and oyster crackers. Rich was unable to resist eating the crackers for some reason.


Jonathan and Rich take their first bite. The 5 ingredients in a "5-way chili" are Chili, Spaghetti, Cheese, Beans, and Onions. They went for the optional Jalapeno cheese, as the actual chili is mostly a non-spicy and sort of sweet meat sauce. The cheese is clearly very generous.


This was our whole meal. The plate closest to me is a 5-way, but with a potato instead of spaghetti, and a big dollop of sour cream on top. The plate to the left is a standard 5-way.

My verdict?  I'd definitely eat it again and probably prefer it to the spicy type, but I don't consider Cincinnati Skyline chili the "perfect chili" for me. It's just a bit too watery, and, more importantly, there's too much cinnamon. Reduce the cinnamon and boil off some of the water and it'd be ideal.

4 comments:

  1. I liked the Cincinnati chili quite a lot! I don't mind cinnamon, and if anything my ideal chili would be slightly _more_ soupy than they serve it. Mostly, it's hard to resist the allure of giant mounts of fluffy grated cheese.

    It's not quite my ideal either - I prefer more vegetables for example - but I think its fame is legitimate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were itching to make that pun, weren't you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a _cheesy_ pun, but there have _bean_ worse in the _past-a_ particularly bad one shows up whenever we _meat_ up.

      Delete